Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Books, a Quote, and the Moon

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken."
–Oscar Wilde

Yesterday was a long work day, but it was a productive day. Busy season is upon us and I have a feeling that this year is going to feel more crammed than the last.

Energy zipped through me last night. I went to bed a little after midnight, which isn't the norm for me. Then I woke up for some reason at around 4:30 a.m. Whenever I wake at these early morning hours, I take the opportunity to put my glasses on and peer out the window at the moon.

Last night the picture outside my window was a half moon surrounded by stars as billowy clouds streamed by. All I could think of was that this was the image of a soothing lullaby. I stayed there propped up at the windowsill for a few moments taking in the moment, then I tucked back into bed and went back to sleep.

I've tried to stop buying books. This Sunday, though, I browsed the bookshelves of a second hand store wondering what I'd find. I've purposely avoided this section on recent visits, but on Sunday I splurged. I allowed myself to look a little longer and found a handful of books to buy and here they are:

-Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert.

I saw the movie a year or so ago and decided then that I'd like to try the book. I usually wait until the hype goes down for certain things. A month back I tried a Kindle sample and I knew it would be a book that I wanted to read, just not on Kindle.

-All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten: Uncommon Thoughts on Common Things by Robert Fulghum. I'm surprised I don't own a copy or that I haven't read it yet. I did read his collection of writings by other authors that inspired him called Words I Wish I Wrote. I enjoyed this one a lot.

-Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories that Heal by Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D. I have a vague recollection of seeing this book around. Flipping through it, I knew it would be a gem to add to my shelves.

-Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar: Understanding Philosophy through Jokes by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein. I always wanted to pick this book up when I heard about it, but then I forgot about it; I must not have wanted it that bad. When I saw it this time, I knew I had to get it. I flipped open to a random page and was immediately laughing. Laughter and philosophy–what a great combination!

-Ed Emberley's Great Thumbprint Drawing Book. Well, I've seen this cute children's drawing book somewhere, maybe a library. I had to have it. The thumbprint drawings are adorable and it takes you step by step. It speaks to the kid and little artist in me.

-The Touchstone by Edith Wharton. I've never read any of her novels. This is a short one. The descriptions on the back intrigued me, so I had to get it.

I felt like it was my lucky book day, finding so many gems.

I also had some books waiting for me at the library, mostly children's picture books, and one book related to astrology and the moon. I don't think I'll have time to read all of the moon book, but I'm hoping I have time to sit with it for a little while.

The highlight of my Sunday, besides the books, was browsing in a combination vintage art shop this weekend where I saw a canvas that someone had painted the Oscar Wilde quote in white block letters. Well, my significant other actually saw it first and pointed it out to me because he knew I'd like it. I did; I decided to do a similar one using the Doodle Buddy App, so that's today's picture.

Love those words: "Be Yourself..." Yes!

Happy writing and creating & happy Tuesday!


6 comments:

ZACL said...

The quotation is brilliant.

Can you say more about the painting buddy app. We don't have all the odds and sods found in other countries, however, there may be something that is global, or similar elsewhere.

Rebb said...

Hi ZACL, That is a great quote isn't it.

The Doodle Buddy App is available for free on the Apple iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch. I'm not sure how the Apple iTunes Store works in other countries. I pasted a YouTube link below that demonstrates what the App does.

I like to think of it as a finger painting App where you can also change backgrounds and colors and use built in "stamps." You'll be able to see if you are able to access the video. I hope you are able to download the App or find a similar one. It's fun and simple.

I hope you are able to access it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=iisZ2mux1nk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiisZ2mux1nk

ZACL said...

Thanks for the app info. I am interested in obtaining something like it for a very young relative who has strong artistic leanings and.......who got an ipad 3 for Christmas!

:)

Rebb said...

Ah...another more sophisticated drawing App in the Apple store is Sketchbook Express. The express version is free and the full version is $4.99. It's definetley worth exploring. I attached a link that reviews the App.

How exciting for your young relative. : )


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SketchBook_Express

ZACL said...

Thanks, It's a sweet application, quite delightful. You've given me the motivation to browse the itunes store. Failing that, there may be a packaged art programme disk I can buy.

Again, Thanks.

Rebb said...

That's great. It's amazing how much there is to browse in the iTunes Store.

Good luck with your search!