Friday, February 1, 2013

Books Stare Back

Books stare back at me from the shelves. A part of me wants to go through and donate the ones that I may not read and others that I have already read. They seem to sit there, collecting time, wanting more attention than they currently receive. Books that have a history in my life, reminders of bookstores that no longer exist––I'm afraid to let go.

There is no logical reason to let go of many of these books. They have a place on the shelf, but there are others that lay in the dark closet, out of view, because there is no room for them on the shelves meant for books. Part of me wants to keep these physical books because I fear that one day, they will become extinct and for many of these books, I may want to revisit or simply take one from the shelf and feel it in my hands, smell its pages, randomly open to any old place and start reading.

There may be one or two books I can part with, but then what's the point of that. The bookshelves have become cluttered and the books in turn clutter my mind.

Perhaps what I really need to do is sit down and go through, shelf by shelf, book by book, and revisit each and every one of these old friends.

**

After moving a crooked stack of books blocking other books, I saw Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain. A quote that begins the first chapter speaks to me today as I'm trying to carve a new road...

"Every moment of your life is infinitely creative
and the universe is endlessly bountiful.
Just put forth a clear enough request,
and everything your heart desires must come to you."

–Shakti Gawain

Peace and Love~

Rebb

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I know I've got that same book around here somewhere. And i, like you, can't bring myself to part with the rows of books lining my otherwise empty walls. I have a memory of almost every one of them, so i do understand your dilemma. It's hard to let go.

Rebb said...

I think that if I can practice letting books go every now and then, it will help me let go of the bigger things. I've tried to practice being aware of attachments in general. When it comes down to it, it's always a struggle. During my last move, I chose to let go of many books. I don't regret it. I didn't have the space, but it was so hard for me to do.