Friday, April 6, 2012

Mushroom Polenta Pie



This morning
I would like to settle into
a large pot of warm polenta,
slathered in butter.


Two evenings ago, for dinner, I made mushroom polenta pie from the Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites cookbook. I have had ready-made polenta rolled up and ready to cut, but found the texture coarse. As simple as polenta is to prepare, this was my first time buying a box of cornmeal and making it. When I poured the cornmeal water mixture into the boiling water, it was moments before it was a silky smooth consistency. With each effortless stir, I escaped into the softness and the gentle steam.

I used the new glass baking dish I got from IKEA for the mushroom polenta pie. After the cornmeal was done, I smoothed it into the baking dish and on top of that added the gently sautéed mixture of mushrooms, onion, garlic, and chopped spinach. To the top was added fresh grated Parmesan cheese, then into the oven for 25 minutes. This was the recipe that was to go with the tomato wine sauce that I prepared on Sunday. I heated some of the sauce in a small pan. It did go well, but it was just as tasty without. In fact, my significant other preferred it plain and thought the sauce too overpowering for this dish. We had a very light meal that night paired with avocado and a spinach salad.

This will definitely be a recipe that I prepare again, knowing that I can change the ingredients and play around.

No comments: