Monday, April 23, 2012

Evening Pages - Miscellaneous Stuff

I finally purchased and downloaded the Pages App for the iPad. It makes it much easier to edit documents, especially now that I also have a budget case with Bluetooth keyboard that makes typing on the iPad a better overall experience.

Tonight I prepared Beef Patties Chasseur with hand mashed potatoes for dinner. The recipe is from My Great Recipes cards. I enjoy cooking with wine and could eat a bowl full of sautéed mushrooms, green onions, and garlic, together with beef stock, and white wine. It sounds like the makings of a mushroom soup. The flavors were pretty good, but the patties were a tad too rare. I kept them in the pan longer and ended up cutting them in half, letting lots of the juices run out. At least there is sauce to make up for it.

I heard somewhere that if in doubt about food being undercooked, drink white wine to kill the bacteria. I don't know for certain if this works, but I did have a small glass of white wine after eating an almost raw part of the center. It was so good. I didn't want to push it, so I did toss out the rest of the center and ate around it. All the patties should be medium now with the extra cooking.

We just watched a movie that was recommended by a woman running a wine tasting room where we were tasting a couple of weeks ago. It's called Bottle Shock and is based on a true story. It tells the story of how the Napa Valley wines got on the map through a blind tasting in Paris. There were times when the movie felt corny, but we're glad we watched it because we had no idea about this small part of Napa's wine history.

I've had a good reading streak and have finished reading and listening to a few more books. I hope to write about my reactions soon.

No comments: