Monday, August 6, 2012

Bits from Saturday: Hike and Art & Soul Festival


Saturday was a full day of fun. It began with a cool cloud cover, hiding the sun until early afternoon: perfect weather for a hike.

Hiking in the hills, I was a border collie, like my old border collie friend—may she rest in peace—my nose was on high alert, nostrils inhaling the way she would, nostrils like a tongue tasting all that I could with rapid inhalations: warm scents of cinnamon, high notes of eucalyptus, dry earth, there must have been other scents mixed in with the fresh air; the lake speckled with boats here and there, a lovely yellow bird, two black herons, California coots that appeared much larger than usual.

The latter part of the day whisked us to the Art & Soul Festival, blocks closed off, lined with food venders of all sorts: BBQ, Chinese, Mexican, Cajun, and more. Art venders, music stages, lots of people walking and eating, smiling and greeting, activities for children. Beer, wine, soda-pop. I chose a serving of fried zucchini with ranch dressing, enjoyed a beer, and then later when I was hungry again, I bought a great big smoked turkey leg and I devoured it like I was a cave woman, no shame in how I dug my teeth into it while I walked, turkey leg in one hand, beer in the other, bottled water tucked under my arm.

As you can see from the photo I took and posted here, everyone was interested in snapping photos of these fire blowing flower sculptures. I’ve never seen public art that also has a fire component. They blow fire about every five to six seconds and when I hear the muffled rwaaaahhh, like a quiet roar, it reminds me of a dragon.

One art vender in particular caught our fancy with his Dia de los muertos pieces, Day of the dead pieces. I especially loved his play on Where the Wild Things Are, which became Where the Dead Things Are. I heard the artist speaking to another person, talking about how he had just finished a mural that he did in conjunction with some young art students. He was very personable and easy to talk to. He and his wife had created several indigenous pieces together and they have an upcoming exhibit at The Smithsonian. I was also intrigued by the Asian Muertos pieces, an interesting blend of Mexican muertos and Japanese art.

Forrealism Home Page
http://forrealism.com/NEW_HOME.html

Gallery
http://forrealism.com/NEW_GALLERY.html

The night ended with listening to various musical performers: Soul, heavy metal, hip hop, and others. It was a satisfying day. By the time we got home, I was ready to hit the bed and enter dreamland.

On Sunday, I woke up early, read for five minutes and went back to sleep. Even when I’m having fun and being out and about, I often need a day to recuperate from all the excitement and energy.

No comments: