Monday, September 22, 2014

Morning Page - Oatmeal Bars




"Your destiny is to fulfill those things upon which you focus most intently. So choose to keep your focus on that which is truly magnificent, beautiful, uplifting and joyful. Your life is always moving toward something."
-- Ralph Marston, American writer
 

The morning has run away from me. Beautiful orange carnations stare out at me, my cup of tea is empty. I hear a dog bark and bird tweets. Last night I knew I had more studying to do. It's never really done. Just as I finish one chapter, I have to begin on the next to prepare for the next week's class. My teacher is quite responsive. I've emailed her a few times with questions. She's also organized and passionate about her subject. She even begins the class with a tax joke. 

So last night, I don't know if I was procrastinating or if baking soothes me. I'm not a baker. But when I was a little girl I did bake often and I don't know when I stopped. Now, I tend to focus on suppertime meals. Or maybe it was spurred by a new 13 by 9 inch baking pan that I bought a few weeks back that I didn't end up needing and the fact that when I had oatmeal for breakfast yesterday morning, I noticed that the oats had reached their expiration date. I didn't want to waste them, so I thought I'll make the vanishing oatmeal cookies recipe on the lid. I didn't know if I would actually go through with it since we had a full day. I saw that I had the option to make the cookies into bars by using that handy pan that I already had still with it's sticker on it. 

I did make the oatmeal bars, slightly burnt on the bottom. Next time, I may need to pre-heat the oven for less time and bake 30 minutes instead of 35. The bars were quite delicious though, but I feel so bad making them when I see how much butter and sugar is involved. I need to find healthy alternatives to baked goods.

So that's my new mission: Healthy and tasty baked goods with less butter and sugar.

No comments: