Monday, September 15, 2014

Journal - Feeling Autumn



I have started to noticed the change in the season the past few weeks, nothing that stands out; subtle changes, mostly hot days that end with a softer light. No drastic sunsets. But the way the change feels is in this photo that is actually from late January of this year. It's from Treasure Island looking out at San Francisco.It has a loud quietness about it and that's how I feel these days–ready to settle into Autumn with its earthy jeweled tones and early dark skies. I imagine pulling my turtle necks out of their hiding places, readying myself for cooler days.

Second class meeting is tonight: Federal Income Taxes. I thought it would be a good class to take to make work more interesting, especially during the slow time, and to challenge my mind. I've actually wanted to take the class for some time, but it's only offered once each Fall and it fills up fast. I've been at my job so long now that I've reached a point where it doesn't make sense to give me any more raises, so last annual review, I suggested to the boss that he pay for my course and books in lieu of a raise. He agreed. I was glad. So far, it's more difficult than I thought it was going to be. I'm going to stay on top of it as best I can and see how it goes.  

My calendar quote from last week was from Rainer Maria Rilke: "Live your questions now, and perhaps even without knowing it, you will live along some distant day into your answers." I can relate to this. I feel like I've lived my life this way, knowing that one day I will stumble into something different or maybe the same, the questions always there, but with the hope that one day the answers would be more definitive.

I have had moments these past few days that have also made me feel like I'm right where I'm supposed to be in my ordinary existence.

 

No comments: