Thursday, November 13, 2014

Journal ~ The Scent that Fills my Space

"Life is like an onion; you peel it off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep."
–Carl Sandburg


I woke up to the rain, and just as the clouds broke, I felt a certain release within my soul, as though the debris within was being washed away with the rain. When I sat at the kitchen table to begin my morning ritual, the scent of eucalyptus brightened my mental space. The pale yellow carnations from last Sunday, that remind me so much of the ruffles on a child's dress, share the vase with fresh eucalyptus stems–those fragrant stems take me to my grandparent's home, to the backyard with the tall eucalyptus trees, that familiar scent of one of my favorite trees, the scent of comfort and childhood–the scent that fills my space this morning.  

3 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

You really painted an amazing picture here with your words...made me feel as if I was there. I love it. I wish you a great weekend :)

Rebb said...

Thanks, Keith!

Rebb said...

: )