Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Empanada



One of the cookbooks that I took home from the library was Aaron Sanchez's Simple Food, Big Flavor: Unforgettable Mexican-Inspired Recipes from My Kitchen to Yours. This is a beautiful cookbook with heart. I love the photographs of the ingredients and the finished meals. My mouth waters when I flip through the pages and makes me want to put the book down, get to the grocery store and get cooking! The conversational tone of the book makes me feel like I've Aaron there by my side as I read and set out to try his recipes.

I've been on the lookout for an empanada recipe ever since I had them at the food trucks and I have a regular turnover recipe, but I knew I was looking for something different; I just wasn't sure what until I found Aaron's recipe. It's simple, delicious, and the addition of masa harina (corn masa flour) makes all the difference. Subtle, but noticeable.


For the filling, I made a modified version of Aaron's recipe. 

The fillings are endless, from savory to sweet. It's all up to the cooks moods and imagination.

**

Pocket-filled delight,
a mixture of ground beef,
potatoes, onions, salt, pepper,
oregano, and El Pato brand Salsa de Tomate con Jalapeno.
Sizzling, spicy goodness.

Baked, not fried. 
Aaron Sanchez's
empanada dough recipe–
my first and my favorite, 
made wtih masa harina (corn masa flour)
and regular flour.

I take my first bite– 
deliciousness and 
comfort wrapped
inside
out.

No comments: