Monday, February 27, 2012

Jimmy Dean ~ Giving Thanks

“I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”
--Jimmy Dean

The first time I read this quote, I knew it was for me. I came across the quote at work about two years ago on a paper towel of all places. The quote wasn’t attributed to anyone and at the time I didn’t look it up. I added the quote to the bottom footer of our team meeting agenda—good words to remember.

For the past several days the quote has been there with me, maybe because we’re heading into busy season and I’m sure there will be moments where I need to adjust my sails. But these words of wisdom will serve in all facets of life.

I typed the quote into Google yesterday to find out who said it and that’s when I learned it was Jimmy Dean. I didn’t realize Jimmy Dean was also a singer and had acted.

Here is a Youtube of his song, “Bumming Around.” This is my first time hearing this song, his first hit in 1953. I like the vibe, carefree and relaxed. 


Another interesting tidbit from Wikipedia:  Jimmy Dean was entombed in a 9-foot tall piano shaped mausoleum overlooking the James River on his estate.

I love his epitaph:  “Here Lies One Hell of a Man.”

Jimmy Ray Dean (August 10, 1928 – June 13, 2010).

Thank you Jimmy Dean for your words that seized me from the first I read them and carry me through my days when I need them.

RIP


No comments: