Friday, January 13, 2012

Morning Page – Laughing in my Sleep & Two Books


This morning when I got out of bed to begin my morning routine, my significant other said to me in that You talkin to me? way, “You laughing at me?”

He’s not usually conversational when I begin my morning routine because he sleeps an extra hour or so. “Huh?” I said. Clueless, I reached for my slippers, and joked back, "You talkin to me?"

“You were laughing in your sleep. I thought maybe you were laughing at me.”

Slippers on, I came and sat on the edge of the bed.

“Ohhh, yeah…thanks for reminding me. I completely forgot, but yes, I was cracking up, wasn’t I? Gosh, what was I laughing at?” I put my head into my hands trying to find a clue from the night. No clues.

“Yeah, you were really laughing.”

“I must have woken you up then?”

“I don’t know, but I heard you.”

“I can’t remember what it was…I love it when I laugh in my sleep.”

I rose to get up, kissed his lips, smiled, and continued with my morning routine.

**

I have a handful of books that I am pecking away at. I was reminded of one recently and decided to stray from my current reading to read The Giver (1994) by Lois Lowry. It’s a young adult book, recommended for readers 12 and up. I delighted in this utopian adventure. We follow the story of 12-year-old Jonas as he learns the truths and responsibilities of his new role as the community’s receiver of memories.

This book then has lead me back to George Orwell’s 1984. I was supposed to read this in high school and I remember perfectly well not reading it at all. I know some of the references because they have inserted themselves into our consciousness. I also recall watching a few of the republican candidates speak on the television at a Jewish community center a few weeks back. I thought it interesting that Newt Gingrich had alluded to Orwell’s 1984 and specifically used the example of “2+2=5.” I remember this reference well, having heard it before. I have a vague recollection of watching the movie at some point. The memory is fuzzy. I downloaded a sample copy to my Kindle yesterday to see if it fit my mood. I began reading this morning, absorbed. I reached the end of the sample. I purchased it and was ready to enter the world of 1984 will full attention.

On my version of the e-book, there is “A Note on the Text” written by Peter Davison and I found it to reveal some very interesting facts. One being that Orwell had edited the English version differently from the American version, using different words in some cases for a certain word and also using a different style of punctuation. I found that to be fascinating, but it makes sense. Also Davison points out, “A serious flaw occurred in the 1951 printing in the Secker & Warburg text.” The ‘5’ was left out of the formula “2 + 2 = 5” and he further states “That all English editions thereafter, including the special 1984 editions prepared by Secker & Warburg and Penguin Books, have repeated this error.” Equally fascinating to me. To think that by leaving off one simple symbol, how much meaning is lost, the intended message not conveyed.

I’m looking forward to reading this timeless piece that I have been pulled toward since reading and finishing The Giver. I was in another thrift store this past weekend. The book section called. I’ve never bought or used CliffsNotes before but I saw one there for 1984 and thought what the heck? I knew I would read 1984 soon, just not this soon. I like the additional background from CliffsNotes on Orwell and I am going to treat this experience as a revisiting of a book that I am now reading by choice and I will be my teacher and guide, along with CliffsNotes, of course.

**

I caught the moon one night while I was gazing out the window during this past full moon cycle. The branches in the foreground framed it beautifully; it beamed so bright, it felt like the sun was wrapped around the moon as one.

No comments: